Friday, August 31, 2018

Book Review: The Wedding Dress by Rachel Hauck

As I've mentioned, one of my self care things is reading. I've decided I would share with you all when I read a book and what I think of it. You should know, I love me some romance and all the gushy cheesy stuff. It's not all I read but it's a favorite and it's where my heart is right now with my personal reading.

Available on Amazon starting at $8
So I just finished this book. I checked it out at my local library. I had recently been thinking about a series I read a while back that was a modern novel series centered around romance and weddings and was looking for something similar.

Overall, I liked it. The story moves between present day and shortly after the turn of the century in the southern United States. I felt like Hauck did a good job (for the most part) of keeping these stories straight and also intertwining them. I loved the elements of historical fiction and drama. The romance was pretty predictable and I feel like anyone could have figured out the ending by about two thirds in, but sometimes that's what you're looking for in a romance novel. I know I do.

One thing I wasn't anticipating was the focus on faith and God within this book. When I picked it up at the library, I couldn't find anything in the description provided that would lead me to believe faith was such a central focus of the story. One of the characters is even eluded to be God or his messenger or something. It's probably my fault for not paying closer attention when I was picking out a book to read, but when you aren't expecting this aspect of the story it's pretty assaulting.

Even so, I found myself enthralled by the end. It was exactly the sort of fluffy, cheesy, romantic goodness I was looking for. The spiritual aspects sometimes had me rolling my eyes because they were just as cheesy, but overall it was very enjoyable. It's not the sort of story that makes you think or gives you great pause; it's just a happy-ending love story.

What sort of books do you like to read? Any romance recommendations for me? Or even just recommendations in general?

2 comments:

  1. Cheesy, romantic novels aren't my preference... In fact, when characters start getting amorous, I get uncomfortable like I'm being a voyeur or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get that. I only feel like that when it gets too... detailed. Nora Roberts is the greatest offender for me. I skip ahead when it gets to be too much.

      Delete

Disneyland with Baby

When I first found out I was pregnant, my parents were in the process of planning a big family trip to California including a day at Disney...